Pages

Thursday, August 2, 2012

A Monday in NYC

Home Depot -- NYC style
          Monday, it was back to work for Kelsey and back to my explorations of NYC.  Since this is my last full week here, I had some places in mind that I wanted to return to as well as a list of some places that I wanted to go for the first time.  So it was out the back door and up and down the streets running behind 33rd and between 5th and 6th Avenues.  I had read in Kelsey's book that Home Depot was an early morning place to go, but this was not something I even considered doing.  I just happened to run upon it and found the outside so unique that I had to snap a picture or two.
          I had the smoked beef brisket lunch at Hill Country Barbecue, which had been recommended by one of the chefs on my new app Chefs Feed.  It was delicious -- almost as good as Son-In-Law's.  And come to find out, Son-In-Law's is quite a bargain.  This place sells smoked brisket  by the pound for $20.50 per pound for the lean and $23 per pound for the moist (fatty).
          I ended up going on down beyond Union Square and happened into to Dean & Deluca, a grocery store/market.  I ended up spending so much time just looking at all the ingredients that we don't have at home that they finally asked me if they could help me find something.  I assured them that I was just exploring and they told me to have fun.  I even found the gold flakes and the gold dust that I see sometimes in Southern Living, and what a bargain :) at only $110 for the gold flakes and just $100 for the gold dust.  I guess that's why we don't often seen gold flakes on our cakes!  I bought some four-color bow-tie pasta that looks like ribbon candy.  I can't wait to try it -- hope the dish turns out as beautiful as the dry pasta is.
          On Monday night, Kelsey and I went over one street to 35th to the rooftop of the Hotel Metro, which has excellent views of the Empire State Building as well as the building that we live in.  We were able to get up close and personal with the upper levels of the Empire State and the roofline of our building.  This was the perfect place to watch the sunset.

Just looked up and saw this -- must be a storage room now
I liked this wall art
A view of the Empire State Building from the Hotel Metro rooftop
The colorful building behind the chimney is where we live and this is the wing we actually live in
The beautiful details near the top of our building 
This is our building as viewed from 34th Street.  We live exactly across the hall from the bottom left double set of windows.
A sign on the back of Macy's as seen from the Hotel Metro rooftop

No comments:

Post a Comment