Pages

Sunday, July 29, 2012

From Performing Art to Street Art


          Thursday turned out to be a lazy sort of day.  We haven't had too much rain since we've been here, but Thursday began with rain.  Not to worry, I could finish my blog and then go out.  Around noon, I headed out to Bryant Park for their Broadway in the Park series.  For an hour during lunch, performers from different shows are featured on the stage in Bryant Park.  What's not to like about this -- one of my favorite parks and highlights from shows on and off Broadway.  This particular day included performances from Voca People, The Fantasticks, Jersey Boys and Traces.  Voca People are 8 performers dressed in total white, from the white skull caps to the tips of their white shoes.  It is a beatbox/a capella/vocals only show -- and they were outstanding!  Of course, Jersey Boys is the story of Frankie Valli and the Four Seasons  -- I think I must know all of these songs.  Traces is a type of circus which mixes the traditions of circus with the energy of street performers to create a new kind of circus.  Those of you who are my age may remember John Davidson, who was the special guest of the day.  He talked about playing the role of Matt in the Hallmark Hall of Fame version of The Fantastiks back in the sixties.  On Monday, he will return to the cast as Henry, the Old Actor.  I'm hoping to work this play in next week as I have never seen it.  (Ms. Gibbs was my English teacher not my drama teacher back in the day -- I know this was an always see play on the drama department's trips to NYC.)
          Afterwards, I headed to the east to Katz's Deli to try their famous pastrami sandwich on rye.  And it was delicious, but a word to the wise, share this sandwich with one or two other people  -- it is HUGE!   The place was absolutely packed and they had a unique way of cutting down on stealing.  When you enter, a man gives you a red ticket.  You order sandwiches at one place, sides at another, and drinks at another.  At each stop, the price is written on your ticket.  And you must present the ticket in order to leave. If you lose your ticket, there is a $50 lost ticket charge.  Obviously, they have had problems or this system wouldn't be in place.  I enjoyed watching the man prepare my sandwich.  They slice the hot meat right in front of you, giving you a small slice to taste.  It was a nice little show.  And the spot is marked where "I'll have what she is having" happened in Harry Met Sally.  As I was leaving, BBC Reality was starting to film in the midst of all the chaos of lunch hour.
          Walking back up Houston, I enjoyed all the public art (both planned and the unplanned graffiti) along the way, so these are most of the pictures I'm sharing today.
           And the perfect ending to the day for Kelsey was the fact that we went to a lottery rush for tickets to Rent.   From 6 to 6:30, you could enter a drawing for $25 front row tickets.  At 6:30, they draw 8 names.  Mine was the last one drawn so we got to see Rent so close that I was a little worried if the actors made a misstep, they might be in my lap.  The raffle and the show was a fun experience and so worth it to see Kelsey so excited!




I know -- it's s sign but I liked it!


No comments:

Post a Comment