Pages

Friday, July 6, 2012

Taking it Easy in the Big Apple


          After our big, big (hot) night on the 4th, I took a bit of a rest on Thursday.  Around noon, I went to my favorite, Bryant Park, and rejuvenated with Piano in the Park, which was jazz on this particular day.  It was a nice respite for a tired old country mouse.  Afterwards, I made a stop at the New York Public Library, which is located at one end of Bryant Park.  Actually, this is just one of four research libraries, but this IS the NYPL.  The building is extremely beautiful and grand.  While there, I had the opportunity to view the Lunch Hour NYC exhibit.  It was quite enjoyable since I am partial to food service and there were exhibits from pushcarts all the way to power lunches.
          Back outside, it was still very hot, so I decided to explore Fifth Avenue south of 33rd Street.  If you haven't noticed yet, I am partial to buildings so many of my explorations consist of going out and looking at buildings and photographing ones of interest.  Hope you enjoy some highlights of my Fifth Avenue Tour.

Salmon Tower (W 42nd St. across the street from Bryant Park)  It's hard to see but the months along with their corresponding zodiac signs outline the entrance and the figures above represent the professions.

New York Public Library
This church is noted for being the pulpit of Norman Vincent Peale.  Richard Nixon attended this church and his daughter Julie was married here.  (5th Ave. and W 29th St.)
Another view of one of my favorites, the 1903 Flatiron Building
Trivia - Loiterers at 23rd Street hoping tricky Flatiron winds would expose women's ankles were shooed by one, Officer Kane, supposedly originating the expression "23 Skidoo."
Notice on the face of this clock is "Fifth Avenue"  It is a sidewalk clock from 1909.  These clocks were common in the pre-wristwatch era.
Methodist Book Concern, built in 1890 (150 Fifth Ave.)
1894 building at 91 Fifth Ave. with sexy caryatids (J. Crew is located here)

No comments:

Post a Comment