Pages

Tuesday, July 17, 2012

More Museums!


          It would be almost impossible to avoid exploring some of NY's best museums when you're living in the city for 8 weeks.  So on Sunday, we went to the American Museum of Natural History (AMNH), and on Monday, it was the Museum of Modern Art (MoMA).  Both were fantastic places to visit, and we saw some awesome things in each.
          The dinosaurs were the highlight of our AMNH visit, and while some were cast models of bones,  others were actual fossils.  The size of many of the dinosaurs was so amazing!  Their necks and/or tails tended to be longer than their entire body.  I felt like I was the same height of one of their rib bones!  Kelsey and I enjoyed joking around about how terrifying it would be to encounter a living dinosaur.  Included with our admission was a ticket to the planetarium show, Journey to the Stars, narrated by Whoopi Goldberg.  This showed the evolution of space throughout the past 13 billion years.  I really wished William McDole had been here to see this.  I actually enjoyed the stars show more than the actual space exhibits.
          Monday was my day at MoMA.  Kelsey had been a week or so earlier, so I was just catching up.  Here my favorites were the van Gogh paintings.  Of course, there was The Starry Night and The Olive Trees.  I also got to see works of Cezanne, Matisse, and Picasso.  Then there were the Lictenstein, Warhol and Frida Kahlo.  While I am not much of an art historian, it was difficult to enter a room within MoMA that didn't contain at least one recognizable piece.  And so, this mouse will return to the country having seen some of the world's greatest treasures.


Huge and scary looking


Now, that's a large turtle!
Imagine reeling something like this in!
It said that this deer-like animal shed its antlers each year.
A mosquito enlarged 75 times its original size to show its details.
This painting is huge.  I had no idea until I actually saw it that it was so big.
The Starry Night

No comments:

Post a Comment