Pages

Saturday, June 30, 2012

Saturday Sightseeing

         
          This morning, I set out early with no real plan in mind as to how I would spend my day. My first stop was to be K-Mart to pick up some allergy meds. There is definitely something in the air here that is torturing my sinuses. Anyway, on the way, I pass by Old Navy. I don't know if y'all saw the ads about the $1 flip flops on Saturday, but the people here sure did. It wasn't even quite 9 a.m. and people were rushing in by the dozens. But the real sight to see was the people leaving. They literally had as many as three of Old Navy's largest shopping bags filled to the brim with flip flops. It was all some of them could do just to carry their bags of flip flops. As Ted would say, volume, volume, volume.
          Then on to K-Mart. Since the meds are on the bottom floor, I decide I will check out at the registers downstairs and explore that mall a/k/a subway station. I have included a picture so you can see the "mall". It turns out to be Penn Station. I grab a cup of coffee at au bon pain and a seat and watch the people rush about. Many appeared to be going to the beach for the day. 
          Next stop was Greeley Park (in our area) to sit in the shade and watch the people. I even had a mouse friend join me for the sights. Then it was on down Broadway to the Whole Foods store at Union Square, where I went upstairs to people-watch from their glass-front seating area that overlooks Union Square and the Green Market that was in full swing today. 
          On down Broadway to Lafayette I head all the way to Screaming Mimi's, the vintage store I had been wanting to go to, but it turns out that I like Cheap Jack's better and it is in our neighborhood. One of my favorite pieces at Cheap Jack's is a 1920's cape-like long coat. And it is a bargain at $995!  If anyone wants to send me their credit card, I will be happy to pick it up for you. :) 
          The Young Designers Market on Mulberry was interesting, but I found the buildings in this area of Little Italy to be more exciting, and I had fun taking lots of pictures. Then there was the two-mile walk back that provided more photo ops. 
          Kelsey spent the day at the Fifth Avenue luxury shops, so we met at Rockefeller Center and had lunch/dinner. We stopped at a few shops on the way back. For a day without a plan, I'm a totally exhausted country mouse in the city.
"Mall" outside K-Mart

Flatiron Building
Love this dress made of spoons at a kitchen shop

The very first gas station I have seen in Manhattan -- $3.95/gallon on June 30, 2012
Building in Little Italy



Unusual but eye-catching


No comments:

Post a Comment