Pages

Tuesday, June 26, 2012

Thank You, Mood!

         
          If you are a Project Runway fan (or viewer), you will be quite familiar with Mood.  When Maria was here last weekend, she asked me where Mood was.  We both agreed that it was in the Fashion District area, but we didn't know where.  We had both seen Parsons New School of Design and the Needle and Button sculpture, but could not seem to find Mood.
         After a leisurely stroll this morning to Kips Bay, back up 5th Avenue, and then to Bryant Park to people watch, since I was in the Fashion District, I decided that I wanted to go to Mood.  After all, Tim Gunn and Project Runway have made it quite the NYC destination.  First of all, I had to search and search on the internet to find the address.  You can easily get to their website, but their address is not easily found.  I finally found it in the FAQ section.  Since it is such a well-kept secret, I'm going to give you the address:  225 West 37th Street, 3rd Floor, NY, NY.  Now, you know it.  Make a note of it, because it's not a well-known fact.
          After resting and watching the working professionals eat their lunches in the park, I proceed on to 225 West 37th, and find the building well-marked with the street number.  It looks like an office building, and I go in to look at the directory.  No Mood listed.  So back outside I go to recheck my phone.  I do have the right address but nothing anywhere to indicate this is Mood.  So I just decide to ride the elevator up to the third floor and check it out.  These elevators have attendants that close the old sliding doors and control which floor the elevator goes to.  Luckily, he stops on the 3rd floor, and I can tell that it is a fabric store.
          I go in expecting to find a HUGE store.  You know how the designers run all over the store on Project Runway.  Well, in reality, it is not that big (maybe I'm just used to the Hancock Fabric stores).  It is, indeed, just material on rolls stuck into bins like you see on Project Runway.  There are only about 5 rows of fabrics, but it is stacked to almost the ceiling.  Downstairs, is the upholstery and home fabrics.  Not at all the glamorous store that I had been expecting.  This country mouse has seen fabric stores just as good as Mood back in the country -- I even worked at one once back in the day.

Old Sign on Building in Fashion District
Church in the Fashion District
34th Street Macy's and Empire State Building
Bakery in Kips Bay (that is the apartment on the second floor I tried to rent from the uncooperative realtor -- FYI, it is still for rent)

No comments:

Post a Comment