Pages

Wednesday, June 20, 2012

Union Square Greenmarket


          Today, I decided my morning adventure would take me to the Union Square Greenmarket.  Greenmarkets are what these city mice call their farmers' markets.  It was a very nice stroll down Broadway, only 17 blocks, and so much to see along the way.  This market is said to be one of the most popular in the city and a destination for many of its chefs.  From a table in the shade, I did observe several chefs buying fresh produce which was piled high in almost an artistic way.  The different colors were so stunning next to each other.
          I perused the whole market just to see what was available.  There was every kind of fresh vegetable imaginable.  I actually saw some that I had previously only read about or seen on cooking shows.  There were also fresh flowers, breads, meats, yogurts, milk, cheeses, jams, fruits, soaps, herbs and plants.  It was truly a cornucopia of colors, shapes, and scents.  By this time, as a large part of the market was in the sun, I was glistening so much, that I decided to sit in the shade of the park and ponder my selections.
          After cooling off, I decided on two types of fresh bread, multi-grain cranberry almond rolls and a cranberry almond ciabatta loaf (cranberries and almonds just struck my fancy today), home-style salted cream butter and a block of monterrey horseradish cheese made at a dairy in Pennsylvania, fresh spring green mix that you just pick up with tongs and put in a bag, a yellow zucchini, and red carrots.
          I was so hot and I just couldn't let my butter melt, so I rode the Q Express train (subway) back to my apartment.  This was my first subway ride all alone, and I SURVIVED.  I didn't get in trouble, not even with a blind woman (a story for another day).  When I got in, I checked the temperature and it was 88 with a heat index of 95.  No wonder I was glistening.
          So tonight, we will dine in our apartment on a fresh salad with cheese, bread and butter.  What finer meal could a mouse ask for?

NYC Chefs at the market buying for their restaurants.  
Taken on my stroll to the market. 
Our dinner.

No comments:

Post a Comment