Pages

Thursday, June 21, 2012

An Unexpected Smell Triggers A Memory

       
          In the Fashion District (or what used to be called the Garment District), at this time of year, sample sales are very popular.  I read about one, Clothingline/SSS Sample Sales, a sale held on the second floor of a building in the Garment District.
          I told Kelsey about my find, so we made plans to meet when she got off work and walk to this sale.  I'm going off subject here for a moment, because my trip to meet Kelsey is a story in itself.  It seems that I am having a little trouble remembering to take everything I need with me when I leave the apartment.  So this time, I gathered up everything and laid it out all together.  My phone was down to about 20 percent of the battery left, so I plugged it up to charge.  I kept delaying my departure because the phone was not completely charged, and I planned to use it while I waited on Kelsey to get off work.
          Finally I made my departure.  As you have probably been seeing on TV, NYC is experiencing a record heat wave.  By the time I was three-fourths of the way there, I was really glistening.  I reached down to pat my pocket where my phone always is and there was no phone.  Panic quickly set in.  Should I return to the apartment for my phone (that was still charging) or should I just go on and hide out and watch for Kelsey to leave the building.  I decided the best choice would be to continue on.  Well, I am in such a frenzy about leaving the phone (because I am trying so hard to follow all of Mama K-T's rules, and I know she will never approve of me walking around with no phone), that I then lose my bearings and think I'm lost.  I walk one way and then the other and then back again, and I cannot get in my mind which way to go.  I reach for my phone to put it in my trusty map app and, of course, there is no phone.
           By now, it is the time that Kelsey usually gets off work, so I just decided to break another of Mama K-T's rules and ask somebody to help me.  Two nice construction workers straightened my out, and I walked as fast as my short, fat legs would go.  I arrive at the building, and Kelsey is not outside.  So I go to the nearby Starbucks and look around there.  No Kelsey.  I am now in more of a panic, because I am imagining that she can't get in touch with me and she is running back to the apartment to check on me, and I won't be there.   What to do, what to do?  I think, well, I will just get on the elevator and ride up to the 7th floor and look around and ask somebody if Kelsey is still there, and if not, would they let me use the phone to call her.  Kelsey had never mentioned that when the elevator doors open up, you are in Grace Hats show room.  The door opens and there is Kelsey and her boss.  I'm trying to decide whether to quickly shut the door and get back down and out of the building or what to do.  Kelsey's sweet boss Victoria, was saying, may I help you.  Kelsey said, "Mama, you are really, really hot" in a tone that meant what in the heck are you doing in here looking like you look.  Victoria was saying to sit down and let her get me some water, and Kelsey just kept saying, you are so hot.   Well, of course, I was, I had been walking around in 100 degree weather as fast as I could.  I wasn't just hot, I was burning slap up.
          We then leave for the sample sale, and Kelsey said to me that she wasn't mad but just don't talk to her.  And I'm sure you know that really means, yes, I am upset with you.  We get to the sample sale without incident and go up to the second floor.  When we walk out of the elevator, it's just an old warehouse and the smell of textiles (Daddy always said it was the formaldehyde) greets us.  And I was so excited, because it smelled like the Hancock Textile Warehouse used to smell.  Some of you know the smell -- it was so strong at times that it would make your eyes burn.  But what a good smell it was to me because it brought back so many fond memories of times spent there.
          New York has so many smells, both good and bad, but I never expected the smell of the Hancock Warehouse to be one I would find while I was here.
         

1 comment:

  1. Oh, Sandy! I had forgotten that smell and how badly our eyes burned. Yes, I remember hating it when Mom would drag us in there while she shopped. But the memory makes me smile. :)

    ReplyDelete